Friday, March 16, 2007

Chicago and the Block

Am sitting in a cafe in downtown Chicago. My ticket here, the overpriced medium Teapuccino that sits to my left, is cold. It's still in the cup and not in my stomach though, so I figure I can remain here for a few more minutes after which I will have to get up and buy a spinach quiche, my next ticket to remain. Won't stay here for long though. Will be meeting my friend in an hour or so, and I want to spend time in the Borders in the corner before that, torturing myself on whether to get the Eldest, the next book in the Inheritance Trilogy of Christopher Paolini. Been splurging on books lately (the bargain bookstore in South Bend has awesome deals that I just could not refuse - I got three coffee books that costs $35 originally for $5 total) and also on random things like a world map, a Chicago beanie, and a poetry/literature magazine.

Feeling content and happy here. The Oriental Theater is right next door. Was there Tuesday night, watching the Broadway performance of Wicked. My friends and I got tickets just that afternoon, but I think we lucked out because we got what I felt were the best tickets of the place - back row, center, orchestra section. The performance was awesome. Elphaba and Glinda had very powerful voices - Elphaba especially, I thought, but that may just be because she got more of a chance to showcase her vocal range. That was one of the highlights of the trip, I think. The original Broadway CD is on its way to my place as I type.

The place I will be working in this summer is around three blocks east. Found myself on my own Wednesday afternoon so decided to go over there for a while, just to make sure it still exists. This is a nice street to be in, and I like it. I am not excited about heading out though. It's cold outside, and I am not looking forward to freezing - or to walking. Yes, yes, obesity is still a problem, and lack of physical energy must go along with it. Really want to rent a Segway, but I don't want to bother with it when I don't need it anymore.

* * *

Am scrounging the market for short-term housing this summer, and once again, it is clear to me just how distance is relative. Places that look really close on the map are miles and miles away in reality. My friend and I set off for the Sears Tower last night from the Art Institute of Chicago. We got in for free in the Art Institute because they don't charge on Thursday nights. We were only able to stay for a while though - we got there after seven, and the museum closes at eight. I myself didn't really mind - I've been in the museum twice before, so I have looked my fill. As for Crys, well, we did a pretty good job of running through the mazes and snapping up pictures here and there. Also, I told her that it was just one more sign for her to come back.

Anyway, we looked up the Sears Tower on the map, and it seemed near enough - just some blocks away. We were walking forever and ever, until our faces froze, after which we sought refuge and directions from this office building and then just jumped into a cab. We arrived at the Sears Tower, and it was closed. That was annoying, but we got over that really quick. We just jumped into another cab to Pizzeria Uno's deep dish pizza, and then ended the night with chocolate sundaes at McDonald's.

* * *

Yesterday was a busy and tiring one for me and my other friend Miyan (a.k.a. The Best Host in Chicago ever). We got up early to try and find a place for me to stay in for the summer. The search took us as far north as Lincoln Park, which in the map looks close but which is really some distance away from civilization (i.e. The Loop). We could not for the life of us find this place I was supposed to see. So after doing this circle around sidewalks, we just decided to head back and check out the places that were nearer. If I couldn't find it with her, chances are that I would not be able to find it by myself.

Do have one option though in the Gold Coast area. Studio is bare and very basic, but the area is near enough downtown. Reviews and popular opinion say that it is one of the nicer places to live, but there are enough bums and random greasy strangers on sidewalks to make me a bit uncomfortable. Still, if nothing else comes through, I will be going with that. Will be having to live within one stride of the gas stove (and everything else, actually), but the place will do for the summer. It has enough character for me not to mind living there. Think 2046.

Am still looking into other places though. I want to live nearer the city, if not in the heart of it. I am a city animal. Living in Notre Dame has driven that home. I need my buzzing cars and skyscrapers and busy traffic lights and sidewalks. And because I will be in Chicago, I also need to be near the museums and libraries and cafes and bookstores. Wish me luck, friends!

The places I don't get to visit this weekend, I will visit next weekend. Will be going back to Notre Dame to attend classes, and then it's off to Chicago again for me for two weekends straight. I love this city.

* * *

One place that I spent a lot of time in this visit was Millenium Park. It's across the street from my summer office, but it's only now that I've really gone around it. My favorite toy there is the Bean. The night pictures that Miyan, Crys, and I took were awesome! We trooped there after watching Wicked, with me skipping all the time and occasionally swatting them both with my rolled-up playbill. I kept laughing too - walking through the city streets was liberating. And yeah, the day pics that Crys and I took were just as good. The night pictures were good because the city lights made the bean look as though it were on fire. And the day pictures looked good because you can see both sky and land from its surface. May post some of them here, but we'll see. You all know how averse I am to showing my face on this blog.

* * *

Will be meeting Miyan in half an hour. Will be crashing at her place tonight, maybe also tomorrow night, depending on how much I can keep my nerdy/responsible impulses at bay. Crys and I just checked out of our snazzy hotel just minutes away from North Michigan this noon. It's actually her business trip hotel - I just crashed for the free ride. As I write this, C is probably on the plane to San Francisco, where she hops on a plane back to my original side of the world.

I wish the ferris wheel and swings at Navy Pier were up and running. Miyan and I were there two nights ago, while C was being wined and dined by her corporate allies. We hopped on a bus to there after checking out an apartment in the area. If that bus didn't come, we would have either been frozen to death or flying with the wind.

Navy Pier seems like a really nice place, and I wouldn't mind living near there. Maybe M and I can watch 300 there, in their Imax theater. That's an option. Pretty sure we're going to see this body museum thing this weekend. She wants to see it, and I don't mind going with her.

* * *

This has been an amazing spring break so far. Have a few more things to say, but I'm tired of being here. It's time for me to fly away and move on to other adventures. Run, Forrest, run!

2 comments:

Rudy Wellsand said...

I read thru your Feb. 17th '07 post "Questions about God, Pt. 2", where you state in the last para. that we have to "desire" to know God.

I'm sure you know that it's MORE than THAT!

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ "CODES" RIGHT OUT OF YOUR OWN BIBLE, that "CONTROL" your Destiny?

See the "CHOSEN"Code and "COLOR"Code; VISIT: http://quadcode.blogspot.com !

Save or Print it to study.

HAVE A MUCH MORE "INSPIRING" DAY!

Bobby said...

the tiny studio sounds like my place! god!

but i think that's really the deal if you want to live downtown or near downtown. unless, of course, you're willing to spend more